Thursday, June 2, 2011

Layover at Narita International Airport


After a 10+ hour flight from SFO, Katie and I are sitting in a bar in Tokyo drinking Sapporo. Unlike Katie, I plan to use first person pronouns in ALL of my sentences. We have a couple of hours until we get on another 7 hour flight and then finally, blessedly, we will arrive in Bangkok.


We are looking out at a view of what should be called the Pacific Northeast. Maybe it is called that, but I've never heard the term. Anyway, with a gray sky and lush green temperate forest, one could easily mistake it for the Pacific Northwest (at least if one had only 4 hours to spend in the country and couldn't justify going through international customs for  a few gulps of fresh Japanese air).


The bar is playing exclusively monotonous club remixes of American pop hits, mostly recent Top 40 (think Black Eyed Peas), although currently they're blasting a relatively enjoyable club remix of the "Axel F Theme" from the Beverly Hills Cop movies. I am excited to get out of here and into Thailand for curry and Buddhist temples (I forgot to bring the guidebook to Thailand so I know nothing of the country). As former President George W. Bush would say, "Let's Roll!"

1 comment:

  1. Hey Robbie (and Katie)!!

    I'm so excited that you're going to Thailand! I can't wait to read about your adventures and see your pictures. I'm also super jealous that you got to stop off in Japan, since the closest I've gotten is flying past it on my way to Hong Kong. Anyway, I'm not too sure that the Japanese air is very "fresh", but maybe it will make you turn Japanese... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4 haha Be safe!

    -Adena

    ReplyDelete